There is no universal guide to the elements that should be included in a press kit or media kit, but the following are common components:
- Backgrounder with historical information on the company or individual.
- Fact sheet listing specific features, statistics, or benefits.
- Biographies of key executives, individuals, artists, etc.
- Past press coverage
- Photos or other images (high resolution) of key executives, logos, products, etc.
- A press release detailing the current news the media kit is sent in reference to
- Media contact information (usually of a public relations department or spokesperson)
- A CD, DVD, software title, video, etc. as appropriate for the sender of the release
- Collateral advertising material, such as: postcard, flier, newspaper ad, etc.